Which boats are needing permits?
Starting in 2014, all watercraft are required to be inspected for aquatic invasive species and to display a valid AIS permit sticker prior to launching and while operating on Lake Whatcom or Lake Samish. This new requirement includes non-motorized, hand-carried watercraft such as canoes and kayaks. Permits will not be required for surfboards, paddle boards, and kite boards; float tubes and water sport toys; and inflatables that are 10 feet or less in length.

Show All Answers

1. What are aquatic invasive species (AIS)?
2. Which boats are needing permits?
3. What are the permit fees?
4. How do I get my permit / sticker?
5. How long does an inspection take and what will the inspectors be checking?
6. How can I make my inspection a more quick and simple process?
7. Where can I get my boat inspected?
8. What number can I call to arrange for a boat inspection?
9. Where can I find a copy of the Whatcom County AIS ordinance?