Whatcom County Treasurer's Office actively manages an investment
portfolio of approximately $300 million. The investments
of Whatcom County, as well as most special taxing districts in the
County, are pooled together in the Whatcom County Investment Pool.
The Treasurer's Office invests the public's funds in accordance
with all federal, state and local governing statutes as well as
in accordance with the Whatcom County Investment
Policy and standards established by the Governmental Accounting
Standards Board (GASB).
Fund managers at each
special district provide written authorization for the Whatcom County
Treasurer to invest monies not required for immediate expenditure.
The Treasurer then places these monies in legally authorized investments
for the benefit of the specific special district.
The Whatcom County Treasurer's Office invests funds for:
- Over fifty Whatcom County funds
- Seven School Districts
- Sixteen Fire Districts
- Eight Water Districts
- Eleven Cemetery Districts
- Three Parks and Recreation Districts
- Council of Governments
- McCauley Creek Flood Control District
- Northwest Regional Council
- Public Utility District #1
- Whatcom County Rural Library System
- Whatcom Transportation Authority
- Point Roberts Hospital District