Prevention Tips - Vacation Preparation
Preparing for Vacation
- Strive to make your home look as lived-in as possible
while you're away.
- Don't broadcast your plans, but do let your neighbors
know that you'll be gone.
- Give a spare key to your neighbors and give them an emergency
telephone number to reach you.
- Arrange to have your mail and newspapers picked up daily
(preferred) or have delivery stopped while you're away.
- Use automatic timers to turn on a radio, lights, etc.,
at different intervals.
- Turn down the ringer on your telephone. An unanswered
telephone is a dead giveaway.
- Leave your blinds as you normally would if you were home.
- Be sure to lock the garage as well as any storage sheds,
gates, etc. It's also a good idea to disconnect your garage
door opener if you have one.
- Ask your neighbor to occasionally park in your driveway
and put out your garbage cans if you have curbside pickup.
A neighbor can throw in a bag of trash.
- Be sure someone knows your itinerary and estimated time
- If you get lost while traveling, get directions from
local law enforcement, not complete strangers.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash. Use travelers' check
and credit cards.
- Have a good time on your trip.