The Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) is comprised of a county-wide eleven-member group of citizens, public interest groups, business, the waste management and recycling industries and local elected public officials (or their designees). The SWAC provides for coordination and information exchange between the groups about solid waste issues as well as providing ongoing public input and advice to Whatcom County on solid waste management issues. The meetings are open to the public.
Currently, the SWAC meets the 4th Thursday of the month at 5:30 PM on a quarterly basis, though this is subject to cancellation or change. Meetings are usually held in the Garden Level 1st floor conference room of the Civic Center Annex, 322 N. Commercial Street, Bellingham, WA.
- Eric Johnston , City of Bellingham
- Greg Young, Small Cities
- Casey Heinle, Citizen. Term expires1/31/16
- Vacant, Public Interest Group. Term expires 1/31/15
- Pete Edwards, Waste Management Industry, Disposal. Term expires 1/31/16
- Martin Kuljis, Waste Management Industry, Recycling. Term expires 1/31/15
- Barbara Brenner, County Council
- Amber Jones, Business/Industry. Partial Term expires 1/31/14
- Ed Nikula, Citizen , Term expires 1/31/16
- Marjorie Leone, Public Interest Group. Partial term expires 1/31/14
- Calvin Den Hartog, Waste Management Industry, Hauler. Term expires 1/31/15
The SWAC bylaws can be viewed here.
Regular terms on the committee are three years with a two term limit and a one year separation required to re-apply.
To apply for membership on the Solid Waste Advisory Committee, see application instructions here.