Back to Whatcom County home page Whatcom County | Departments | Contacts |  Help |  Search
 Planning and Development Servicesheader image
  PDS Home  | Building  | Code  | Fire  | GIS  | Natural Resources  | Permits  | Planning  | Calendar

Natural Resources

Natural Resources Home
Land Disturbance

Our Services

Building Services
Code Enforcement
Fire Marshal
GIS Maps & Data
Natural Resources
Permit Center
Contact Us


Quick Links
Applications / Forms

J.E. “Sam” Ryan, CBO

5280 Northwest Drive
Bellingham, Washington 98226
Telephone: (360) 676-6907

Land Disturbance Critical Areas Logo

What is the purpose of land disturbance permits?

Land disturbance permits regulate clearing and removal or destruction of trees and other vegetation, excavation, filling, grading, deposition of organic debris or other debris, and earthwork construction within unincorporated Whatcom County. By minimizing stormwater impacts generated by the removal of vegetation and alteration of landforms, these regulations protect public health, safety and welfare, as well as aquatic and wildlife habitat, water quality, neighboring property, and other goals and policies of the Whatcom County Comprehensive Plan.

What activities require a land disturbance permit

The thresholds that, when exceeded, require that a land disturbance permit be submitted are located in WCC 20.80.734

How much will it cost?

See the PDS current fee schedule for land disturbance for fee estimates.

Where can I get an application?

5280 Northwest Drive Suite B
Bellingham, WA 98226 

How do I submit my application?

Applications may be submitted at the Permit Center.


For questions, please contact PDS at 360-676-6907.