J.E. “Sam” Ryan, CBO
5280 Northwest Drive
Bellingham, Washington 98226
Telephone: (360) 676-6907
|How We Process Code Violations
|Upon receipt of a completed Code Violation Report (CVR)form, enforcement staff will complete a combination of the following:
- Open a new enforcement case or update an existing case:
- Prioritize cases based on urgent life/safety concerns and/or severe environmental damage.
- Check permit history, mapping software and aerial photography:
- Has a permit been issued that authorized the work?
- Do the mapping/aerials suggest areas of concern? (e.g. critical areas or a building constructed without permits)
- Conduct site inspection:
- Document any violations.
- Attempt to make contact with the landowner/violator.
- Interview property owners and/or neighbors.
- Take formal enforcement action by issuing any of the following:
- Notices of Violation, Notices of Penalty, Orders to Abate, Stop Work Orders, or Civil Citations.
- Penalties are up to $1,000 per day per violation.
- Penalties related to clearing activity may exceed $1,000.
- In rare instances when the violator refuses to comply, the matter is referred to the Whatcom County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for criminal prosecution.
- Close the case:
- No violation exists or permits on record.
- Corrective action successfully met.