Back to Whatcom County home page Whatcom County | Departments | Contacts |  Help |  Search
 Planning and Development Servicesheader image
  PDS Home  | Building  | Code  | Fire  | GIS  | Natural Resources  | Permits  | Planning  | Calendar


Fire Marshal Home

Using Consumer Fireworks
Retail Sale of Fireworks
Fireworks Display

Our Services

Building Services
Code Enforcement
Fire Marshal
GIS Maps & Data
Natural Resources
Permit Center
Contact Us


Quick Links
Applications / Forms

J.E. “Sam” Ryan, CBO

5280 Northwest Drive
Bellingham, Washington 98226
Telephone: (360) 676-6907

Using Consumer Fireworks

When can I light off fireworks?

In unincorporated Whatcom County consumer fireworks may be discharged on the following dates and times:

  • June 28th from noon until 11:00 p.m.
  • June 29th thru July 3 from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
  • July 4th from 9:00 a.m. to Midnight
  • July 5th  from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
  • December 31st from 6:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. on January 1st.

Which Fireworks are legal to use?

Click here for a description & photos of fireworks.

Consumer Fireworks (1.4g) that are sold a Washington State Licensed and Whatcom County Permitted stand are allowed to be used in the county.  These fireworks include the following:


Flitter Sparkler

Cylindrical Fountain

Cone Fountain

Illuminating Torch


Ground Spinners


Smoke Devices

Roman Candles

Combination Items       

Helicopter Aerial



Which Fireworks are legal on Tribal Land?

Firecrackers, bottle rockets, missiles and rockets are legal to possess and discharge on tribal lands. These items are illegal in Washington State and become illegal fireworks when possessed off tribal lands.

Explosive Devices that are illegal everywhere:
M-80’s and larger, dynamite and any improvised, homemade or altered explosive devices such as tennis balls or cherry bombs are illegal explosive devices. Persons in possession or using illegal explosive devices can and should be charged with a felony.