Back to Whatcom County home page Whatcom County | Departments | Contacts |  Help |  Search
 Planning and Development Servicesheader image
  PDS Home  | Building  | Code  | Fire  | GIS  | Natural Resources  | Permits  | Planning  | Calendar

Fire Codes

Fire Marshal Home
Fire Codes

Fire Flow
Road/Access Requirements

Our Services

Building Services
Code Enforcement
Fire Marshal
GIS Maps & Data
Natural Resources
Permit Center
Contact Us


Quick Links
Applications / Forms

J.E. “Sam” Ryan, CBO

5280 Northwest Drive
Bellingham, Washington 98226
Telephone: (360) 676-6907

Residential/Personal Storage Fire Flow

What is Fire Flow?  Fire flow is water available for the fire department to use to extinguish a fire.  Fire flow can come from fire hydrants connected to a municipal water supply, water district, or water association or it may come from a stand alone system on your property. 

For residential and personal storage buildings fire flow is only required once you reach a certain square footage.  That square footage calculation includes all usable spaces in the building, even if they are unfinished or just for storage. 

For residences, fire flow is required if the building is larger than 4000 square feet (including all spaces – garages, basements, bonus rooms etc).

For detached personal storage buildings, fire flow is required if the building is larger than 2500 square feet.