Back to Whatcom County home page Whatcom County | Departments | Contacts |  Help |  Search
 Health Departmentheader image
  Health Home

Substance Abuse
Substance Abuse Program

The Whatcom County Substance Abuse Program provides state, federal, and local funds for a continuum of services from substance abuse prevention to outpatient treatment. The program works with county advisory boards, clients and advocates, service providers, and other members of the general public in order to assess community needs and to develop plans for community services. Program staff hold public hearings, conduct quality assurance and improvement efforts, and provide information and referral services. The majority of services are provided directly by county-contracted service providers.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What should I do if someone in my family appears to have a substance problem?
If your loved one is willing to go for an evaluation, you can contact a treatment provider and set up a time for an evaluation. The evaluation will take approximately 2 hours.

What do I do if my loved one won't go to treatment?
You can talk to a counselor at a treatment agency to get ideas about how to approach your loved one with your concerns. You can also contact Pioneer Human Services at 360-676-2205, ext. 1015 and talk to a County Designated Chemical Dependency Specialist to see if the person you are concerned about qualifies for an involuntary commitment. (Note this is not a crisis response system.)

What should I do if my family member returns home intoxicated and out of control?
Contact the police immediately for assistance.

What if I cannot I afford treatment?
Contact any of the providers on the list who provide services to individuals with low income or medical coupons and see if you are eligible for sliding fee scale. You will need to tell the agency what your monthly income is and how many people are in your household.  They will be able to give you an estimate of what your cost will be, but you will need to bring your most recent monthly pay stub in at the time of your evaluation.

Reports and Fact Sheets

Opiate Fact Sheet
Detox Report

Contact Information

Human Services Division
Jaculine (Jackie) J. Mitchell M.A., LMHC, CDP
Program Specialist
509 Girard Street
Bellingham, WA  98225
(360) 676-6724 ext 32017; Fax (360) 676-7646