About the Solid Waste Program
The Environmental Health Division's Solid Waste Program performs a wide variety of activities to monitor and assure the proper handling and disposal of solid waste in Whatcom County.
- Application review for new and expanded Solid Waste Facilities
- Permit Issuance
- Routine inspections of permitted facilities
- Investigations of illegal dumping, garbage handling and contamination associated with landfills.
- Enforcement of SW Codes, e.g. WCC 24.06, WAC 173-304, WCC 8.08
- Oversight at Biosolids Application Sites
- Homeowner education regarding composting, recycling, proper disposal and handling of household hazardous wastes and biomedical waste.
- Education and oversight of generators, transporters and treatment facilities of biomedical waste.
- Waste prevention
- Economically efficient recycling and disposal systems
- Litter control
Frequently Asked Questions
Local Source Control Program
Map - Solid Waste Facilities
Recommendations for Residential Sharps Disposal - Warning Label
Site Hazard Assessment (SHA) Program
Solid Waste Rules & Regulations
Swift Creek Asbestos