Back to Whatcom County home page Whatcom County | Departments | Contacts |  Help |  Search
 Health Departmentheader image
  Health Home

Environmental Health

Environmental Health Home


Solid Waste Program

About the Solid Waste Program

The Environmental Health Division's Solid Waste Program performs a wide variety of activities to monitor and assure the proper handling and disposal of solid waste in Whatcom County.

  • Application review for new and expanded Solid Waste Facilities
  • Permit Issuance
  • Routine inspections of permitted facilities
  • Investigations of illegal dumping, garbage handling and contamination associated with landfills.
  • Enforcement of SW Codes, e.g. WCC 24.06, WAC 173-304, WCC 8.08
  • Oversight at Biosolids Application Sites
  • Homeowner education regarding composting, recycling, proper disposal and handling of household hazardous wastes and biomedical waste.
  • Education and oversight of generators, transporters and treatment facilities of biomedical waste.
  • Waste prevention
  • Economically efficient recycling and disposal systems
  • Litter control


Biomedical Waste

EnviroStars Program

Local Source Control Program

Map - Solid Waste Facilities

Recommendations for Residential Sharps Disposal - Warning Label

Site Hazard Assessment (SHA) Program

Solid Waste Rules & Regulations - WCC Chapter 24.06

Swift Creek Asbestos

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to have garbage service?
Yes, Whatcom County requires the transportation and disposal of solid waste by qualified providers. An exemption is allowed. Please contact us at

Can’t I just burn my garbage?
Burning garbage is illegal and can be dangerous. Breathing smoke from burning garbage can cause or worsen asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema and damage children’s lungs. Burning plastic releases many cancer causing agents into the air that you or your neighbors may breathe.

Can I burn my yard waste?
Burning yard waste is now illegal if you live in a city with more than 5,000 people. Breathing smoke from any fire can worsen serious lung conditions. Other opportunities such as reducing the quantity of waste, shredding, composting, and chipping are options. Transfer stations and the City of Bellingham Clean Green site will also take your yard waste.

What are the requirements for storing garbage?
Garbage must be stored in a rigid, durable container with a tight fitting lid. This type of container prevents rodents and insects from getting into the garbage and potentially spreading diseases to your neighbors.

Where can I dispose of household hazardous wastes like paints, solvents, cleaners, and gasoline?
The Disposal of Toxics Facility is located at 3505 Airport Drive in Bellingham. The phone number is (360) 380-4640. They can also provide information regarding other recycling opportunities.

Where can I dispose of used oil and antifreeze?
These items should be separated and stored in a sealed plastic container with tight fitting lid and taken to:

• The Disposal of Toxics Facility - 3505 Airport Drive, Bellingham
• Birch Bay Lynden Drop Box - 4294 Birch Bay Lynden Road, Blaine
• Nooksack Valley Disposal Drop Box - 250 Birch Bay Lynden Road, Lynden
• Cedarville Drop Box - Cedarville Road, ¼ north of the Mt. Baker Highway
• Water District #10 - 1010 Lakeview Street, Bellingham