Where to file:
A person desiring
to change his or her name or that of a child or ward may file
a Petition in the judicial district in which he or she resides.
When to file
at Whatcom County District Court:
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays) and closed from 12:00 to 1:00 daily due to reduced staffing levels.
- Hearings are held in open court Fridays at 1:30 p.m.
The filing fee is
$155.00, cash only*. This is a non-refundable fee,
which includes the fee to record the name change with the
Whatcom County Auditor and an additional fee to provide you
with two certified copies of the Name Change Order.
*Note: Effective Sept 1, 2012, the name change fee will change to $125.00
How to file:
- Petitioner must fill out a Petition for Name Change.
You may download
a copy of the Petition by clicking here.
- Petitioner must appear in court for the hearing. The
name cannot be changed by mail.
- Bring picture ID with you for your hearing.
If you are requesting
a name change for a minor child, it is suggested that you
bring the following information:
- Picture ID for yourself, and for your child (if available,
e.g. school ID card).
- A copy of the child's birth certificate and social security
- An affidavit signed by both the child's legal parents
agreeing and consenting to the name change; or, alternatively,
information or documentation showing the measures you have
taken to notify the other parent of the requested change
and the date and time of the hearing.
- It is suggested that minors age 10 and above be present
at the court hearing.
petition must be filed for each name changed. Each petition
filed will be charged a filing fee of $155.00* (Effective Sept. 1, the fee will be $125.00).
If you are seeking
a sealed name change order under the Domestic Violence Prevention
Act, you must contact the Whatcom
County Superior Court for filing information.