Back to Whatcom County home page Whatcom County | Departments | Contacts |  Help |  Search
 Assessorheader image
  Assessor  | Tax Guides  | Property Search

Tax Guides

Appealing Your Property Tax

Homeowner's Guide to Property Taxes

Open Space Taxation

Annual Tax Book

Washington Tax Structure



Transfers Between Classifications and Reclassifications

Land may be reclassified, upon request by the owner, subject to all applicable qualifications for each classification, without additional tax, interest, or penalty for the following:

  1. Land classified as farm and agricultural land may be reclassified to timber land; timber land may be reclassified to farm and agricultural land.
  2. Land classified as either farm and agricultural, timber land or forest land under RCW chapter 84.33 may be reclassified to open space land.
  3. Land classified as farm and agricultural land or timber land may be reclassified to forest land under RCW chapter 84.33.
  4. Land previously classified as farm and agricultural land may be reclassified to open space land as "farm and agricultural conservation land" and reclassified back to farm and agricultural land classification.

The application for transfer from classified or designated forest land to a current use classification, must be made within 30 days from the date of removal from forest land status.             

Top of Page

Reclassification approvals are acted on in the same manner as approvals for classification. The county assessor approves all applications for farm and agricultural classifications and reclassification. The granting authority approves all land classifications or reclassification for timber land or open space land. Land being reclassified into farm and agricultural land classifications of less than 20 acres from open space "farm and agricultural conservation land", timber land, or forest land may have the income requirements deferred for a period of up to five years from the date of the reclassification.

When Land is Valued at Current Use

Land which is classified as open space, farm and agricultural, or timber land shall be assessed at its current use value and placed on the assessment rolls in the year following the year of application.

Taxes upon classified land shall be due and payable in the year following the year the land was valued at its current use and placed on the assessment rolls.

Advisory Committee                                                        

The county legislative authority shall appoint a five member committee representing the active farming community within the county. The committee shall advise the assessor in the assessment of farm and agricultural land, farms and agricultural lands, and timber lands.

Assessor May Require Data

The assessor may require the owner of classified land to submit data regarding the use of the land, productivity of typical crops, income and expense data, and similar information regarding continued eligibility.

Top of Page

More Information Available                             

Complete information concerning the requirements and the manner for making application for current use reclassification and assessments is available at the county assessor's office. It is helpful to read the complete law (RCW Chapter 84.33 and 84.34) and rules (WAC Chapter 458-30) to understand requirements of the classifications and the tax liabilities incurred. Publications concerning the open space law are also available through the county extension agent.

Back to Open Space Home